In DIN standard 1451 of 1936, the DIN typeface was standardised for the fields of technology and transport. As the chairman of the DIN committee, from 1925 Siemens engineer Ludwig Goller was responsible for the development. The aim was to establish a common, easily and clearly legible type in which letters could be distinguished even at great distances. The basis for this was a design from 1906 that was standardised by the Prussian railways for writing on carriages, informational and traffic signs.
DIN 1451 covers close- and medium-spaced lettering. It is used – in slightly modified form – for place name signs, traffic signs, railway and other informational signs. Until November 2000 it was also used on German vehicle number plates. Deutsche Bahn (German railway) today uses a modified form of DIN 1451. A variant of it is also used on postmarks used by the German Post Office.